Monday, December 10, 2012

Rolex Christmas traditions

Last week, as we decorated our home with Christmas cheer, I began to get teary thinking about my Christmases past.  I always feel a bit nostalgic while pulling out decorations, lights and ornaments.  My childhood home was so warm and exciting around Christmas and I so want my home to be the same for my children.  Rod and I already have a few traditions (from our own families) that we hope to carry on to our children; like watching the torchlight parade in Tahoe and having an advent calendar in the house.
I started thinking about how fun it would be to create some new traditions for the Rolex family.   Here are a few of my ideas:

1.  Pajamas on Christmas Eve - Each Christmas Eve, allow everyone to open one gift.  Even though the gift is the same every year, it's still fun to see what type of pajamas you've scored!
2.  Make cookies for "Santa" and the neighbors
3.  Drive around and look at the neighborhood Christmas lights (this is something I love to do already)
4.  Read a Christmas story every night during December - The Grinch, The Nativity Story, The Night Before Christmas etc.
5.  Watch a Christmas movie
6.  Make a gingerbread house

Which Christmas traditions have you carried on from your own families? Which traditions have you started anew?






12 comments:

Rachel said...

We don't have any big traditions, other than a big dinner Christmas Eve and opening our stockings Christmas morning.

Now that we have a family of our own, I'd love to start some traditions like baking cookies, reading stories, and opening stockings!

YeamieWaffles said...

This is so cute Alex and I really hope that your families both have a wonderful Christmas. You guys are going to make awesome parents someday especially around Christmas time with all these fun traditions!

Lindsay said...

My husband and I just started reading Christmas books every night during December this year, and I have loved it. We also have a tradition of going downtown to see the Christmas lights with his family. :)

Angela K said...

Graham and I are really into the Christmas traditions and are so excited about the ones we've already implemented. It's awesome to have our baby girl here to celebrate with us this year!

Lauren said...

we have carried on the pj's on Christmas Eve that my grandparents started for us MANY years ago. Right now we're still in a little bit of transition as we start new traditions with Elyse & our "new" family of 3!

The Cagles said...

Making a gingerbread house? Having had three Christmases with a child and three (truthfully, more like five) attempts at MAKING a gingerbread house... might I offer one suggestion? Buy a damn kit. Those suckers need true mortar to hold together, forget the icing!

Legally Lovely said...

These are all great ideas. It's a family tradition of ours to do all the prep work for our Christmas Eve snackathon during the day. We always get dressed up and go to evening service. When we get home, we get cracking in the kitchen, light a fire, and snack while we watch the service from the Vatican.

In the week before Christmas, we usually go on a pajama ride. Mom will put hot chocolate in a thermos and we drive through town and look at all the lights.

Mrs. Pancakes said...

I love Christmas traditions!!

Mrs. Pedersen said...

I love traditions and "carrying" them on with our own little family. I think driving around looking at lights is my personal favorite!

DWei said...

Lately we've been traveling around Christmas time so maybe we'll go somewhere this year?

Anonymous said...

These therapies are great for people who tend to overanalyze their situations and will be of great use
to them. A couple of major accrediting agencies encompass most
of those. As a masseuse, you also have the opportunity to earn tips.
my page > pathophysiology of depression antidepressants

Sell My Rolex said...

We always get dressed up and go to evening service. When we get home, we get cracking in the kitchen. Sell Rolex